Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Updates and more

Sorry for not writing in a while. I've been super busy recently, especially with  GDC going on this week. So I'll quickly go over GDC experiences (even though I'm not there in person), updates, announcements, and what's to come ahead and such.



First off GDC! Unreal Engine 4 was released for free two days ago, and just yesterday Unity 5 was released as well! I've been playing around with both engines and I like what I see.

Unreal Engine lets you create visually beautiful games. It's workflow is vastly different than that of Unity, so it will be something I will need to get used to very quickly. It's interesting, but I'm worried about how blueprinting will work compared to scripting like in Unity. I would not mind at all if I have to learn C++ though.

 Unity 5 is instantly familiar, but there are definitely new tweaks that I will have to play around with and understand. I definitely want to play around with the new shaders, new classes, and new things to see and do. I want to mess with it all! I will be much quicker to get used to Unity 5 than Unreal 4 for obvious reasons, but I will learn them both. I especially want to make nice looking metals like I saw in a Unity 5 beta demo on YouTube. This person made nice looking, polished gold bars and I want to learn how to do that!

As for other GDC developments, I've been doing my best to follow some GDC events on Twitter, but a lot of it is swamped with what I think is #Gamergate propaganda. It gives me a headache just trying to trudge through it and look for GDC coverage/talks/etc. but most of it gets swamped out by these activists. I wish they would actually do something constructive and good about their cause instead of being flaming and provocative. I just want to learn. Maybe it would have been better if I went to GDC. Being poor sucks.

Anyway, I'm homing in on finishing a game to add to my portfolio, Cupcake Escape. Aside from all the art, a couple of techniques, and some ideas, I did everything in the game. My artist friend obviously did all the art, and I'm happy she did. My programmer art is terrible. It's a project that I plan to release version 1.0 by tonight. I will continue to update it to give it some more re-playability and make it more interesting, Right now an earlier version is available to play if you check out my portfolio page right here. It sucks but don't all games in their earlier versions? As for a quick summary of the game, it is essentially an endless runner. You avoid things, you have a double jump and a downward move to move down, and you're a cupcake.

I also finally figured out some more references for an essay I'm writing on global concentration of gamers based on an experience I had playing Steel Diver: Sub Wars online for the 3DS. Please look forward to that, because it's something I'm really excited to share, and I hope people (gamers, developers) can understand and relate to it!

Finally, I might be getting a job at Phosphor Games soon! My endeavors might finally be paying off! I'm still waiting on an interview time for Friday, but nonetheless I am extremely excited! Not only will I be gaining job experiences and working with a team on a bigger game, but it will allow me to pick the brains of others to learn techniques from them! Also many people there supposedly are big foodies, which is an awesome ice breaker to make new friends and companions if I do get the job.

Until then, I will work hard to finish up this game in time for tomorrow. I want to make a good impression because this opportunity will definitely change my life for the better. Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more posts soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment